Archive for January, 2009

Full Article: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/21/02.htm

This followed her father being accused though never charged or convicted of injuring his son from a previous marriage, leading to that child being brain damaged. The father has consistently denied this and last week the parents were allowed to challenge the accusation in the High Court. Their cause has been backed by top Oxford-based neuropathologist Dr Waney Squier, who believes there is no evidence that the boys injuries were caused by the father. And if the High Court judge, Mr Justice Mark Hedley, agrees, the couple will stand a final chance of halting the controversial adoption.

Watch All Four Parts Here!
http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/barristers/index.htm

Documentary series following the work of barristers and their young colleagues who aspire to pursue this prestigious profession. Get tips on how they work. This Documentary could help you!The Barristers Booklet! (You Can Get The Link To Dowload The Barristers Booklet)
Part One: Looking at the Bar, one of the most powerful professions in the country.
Part Two: Barristers deal with a divorce settlement and the case of a child with a fractured skull.
Part Three: Looking at the impact of the Crown Prosecution Service employing its own barristers.
Part Four: Assault and battery is the first crown court case for newly qualified Kakoly Pande.

Listen To The Full Broadcast:
http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/21/01.htm
Clive Anderson presents the series analysing the legal issues of the day. Family Courts. Will opening the family courts to the media improve their transparency?
Clive Anderson On radio, he chairs Unreliable Evidence, The Title Productions for Radio 4, in which Clive cross-examines some of the most eminent legal figures in the country.
He says, “My personal pleasure from Unreliable Evidence comes from getting to chair discussions on legal matters involving the highest level of judges and academics – the sort of figures who would have terrified me when I was actually practising as a barrister.

‘Too late’ for child death probe

Posted: January 19, 2009 in News

Full Artice: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/19/01.htm

Any changes prompted by an inquiry into Birmingham social services after eight children died over three years would be “too little too late”, an MP said.
Perry Barr MP Khalid Mahmood said work had to be done to improve the department’s procedures but said it came too late for some children.
His comments came as the city council was working with a government intervention team.
The council has said the number of deaths had not increased annually.
The eight children who died had all been known to social services in the city.
A recent report by children’s services watchdog Ofsted detected “inadequacies” in the council’s ability to safeguard vulnerable children.
A council spokesman said they had been working with the government on the issues since December.
‘Do something’

Full Article: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/19/01.htm

Child deaths probe in Birmingham

Posted: January 19, 2009 in News

Full Artice: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/18/01.htm

A government intervention team is to work with Birmingham social services after eight children known to the department died within three years.
A recent report by children’s services watchdog Ofsted detected “inadequacies” in the council’s ability to safeguard vulnerable children.
Last week, an inquiry was launched after seven children died in Doncaster.
Intervention teams have also been sent to Reading, Wokingham, Essex, and West Sussex, the government has confirmed.
The intervention team consists of experts from the Department of Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) who liaise with Birmingham social services.

Full Artice: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/18/01.htm

Watch The News Broadcast At: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/12/01.htm

Haringey Council’s former children’s services chief has lost an appeal against her sacking over the handling of the Baby P case.
Sharon Shoesmith, 55, was dismissed without compensation last month from her senior position at the north London authority after a damning report into her department’s failings.
Ms Shoesmith launched an attempt to overturn the decision to sack her but a panel of councillors rejected her appeal.
Children’s Secretary Ed Balls sent inspectors into Haringey Council after the trial of those responsible for 17-month-old Baby P’s death.
The inspectors identified a string of “serious concerns” about the local authority’s child protection services, which they described as “inadequate”.
Mr Balls removed Ms Shoesmith from her post on December 1 but she remained suspended on full pay until Haringey councillors decided to dismiss her a week later.
Ms Shoesmith’s appeal hearing before a panel of three Haringey councillors began on Wednesday last week and lasted three days.
A Haringey Council spokesman said: “The decision was taken today by a different panel of councillors from the ones who made the original decision.
“Ms Shoesmith will not be returning to work in Haringey. She will not receive any compensation package. She will not receive any payment in lieu of notice.”
Employment law experts said Ms Shoesmith could have been in line for a payout of up to £173,000 if she could prove that the council was wrong to sack her.
Although she may now make claims against Haringey for breach of contract and unfair dismissal.
Baby P, who cannot be named for legal reasons, died in a blood-splattered cot in August 2007.
He had suffered more than 50 injuries at the hands of his mother, her boyfriend and their lodger despite being on the child protection register and receiving 60 contacts with the authorities over eight months.
The trio will be sentenced at the Old Bailey in the spring.
A spokesman for his firm, Beachcroft, declined to comment on whether she would be taking any further legal action.
If Your an Adult or Child and Have Problems with Social Services, Please Visit http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/help/

Watch The News Broadcast At: http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/news/archive/2009/january/12/01.htm

A probe will be launched into children’s services in Doncaster after the deaths of seven children.
Ministers are sending in a “diagnostic team” to the South Yorkshire local authority, whose children’s department was recently slammed by inspectors.
Serious case reviews have been ordered into the seven deaths. The findings of three have already been made public and involved toddlers aged less than one year old who were abused or neglected before they died.
It was found there were a series of missed opportunities for social workers to intervene before the three deaths.
Last month the education watchdog Ofsted rated Doncaster’s children’s services as “inadequate”.
Children’s Minister Beverley Hughes has written to Doncaster Council, saying: “I was very concerned to see that inspectors have raised a number of very serious issues about services for children and young people in Doncaster.”
She added: “It is crucial that the root causes of these failings are fully explored and that the capacity and capability of the Council and its key partners to drive improvement in these areas is fully assessed.
“I have therefore instructed my officials to commission a thorough diagnostic review to evaluate the current position of the council’s provision of children’s services.”

If Your an Adult or Child and Have Problems with Social Services, Please Visit http://www.stopinjusticenow.com/help/